Being on the traineeship at LifeSkills has enabled me to update my Maths and English and learn about new things such as; British values and money management
Main Purpose of the Job:
To work as part of a team in assisting the Office Administrator Supervisor in providing administration services to the Partners, members of Staff and when appropriate, Clients. To communicate clearly with Partners, members of Staff and Clients whilst carrying out duties and responsibilities.
Key Tasks and Duties:
- To carry out daily tasks which will include assisting with:
- Opening and distribution of Royal Mail and DX Mail.
- Opening of Internal Doors and re-stocking of kitchens.
- Storage, retrieval and administration of Archive Documents.
- Practice stationery – storage and distribution.
- Setting up of rooms i.e. refreshments for Meetings.
- Deliver / collect documents / letters to local Solicitors, Courts and Businesses.
- Partner’s lunches, collection and distribution
- Collection, sorting and dispatch of Royal Mail and DX Mail.
- To photocopy correspondence, forms, documentation etc as quickly as possible when instructed to do so by Office Administrator Supervisor / Fee Earners / Secretaries whilst maintaining a high standard of accuracy.
- To ensure that the Section’s Royal Mail and Document Exchange (DX) correspondence are addressed correctly and placed in the appropriate envelopes, ensuring the most efficient and economical use. Then ensure that the correspondence is placed in the correct mail sack for collection by the Royal Mail. The DX mail sack is taken to the DX room and local DX letters are posted in the corresponding marked mail boxes.
- To assist in the retrieval and storage of the Section’s folders from the Archive store in an orderly manner.
- To assist in the accurate Administration of the Deeds and Wills Register, speedily on instructions from Fee Earners and maintained to the standard of the Practice.
- When appropriate, assist the Practice’s Sections / Departments in the filing of correspondence, forms, documentation etc in accordance with the agreed Section / Department procedures and the agreed service standards.
- To be familiar with the operation of relevant IT facilities including Word, Excel and Outlook. When appropriate, training will be given on the use of the Practice’s database and legal software.
- When appropriate, to assist in the IT procedure of processing Archived Matters as shown by the Office Administrator Supervisor.
- When appropriate, to be trained on Reception Duties including the use of the Practice’s Switchboard, Client Care responsibilities.
- When appropriate, to assist in the maintenance of the accuracy of the Database this may include data input.
- When appropriate, to attend to Partners / Staff and Clients on the telephone and ensure that telephone calls are dealt with in a professional and friendly manner, if appropriate, that full electronic and/or written telephone notes are taken. Calls relating to any legal aspects are to be referred to the Office Administrator Supervisor / Administration Manager / Practice Manager.
- To ensure the confidentiality and security of all Firm and client documentation and information.
- To provide guidance and assistance to other Trainee Office Administrator when required to do so.
- When appropriate, to deputise for the Office Administrator Supervisor for both planned and unplanned absences.
- To adhere strictly to the Practice’s Health & Safety policy and other requirements relating to care and use of equipment.
- To undertake any specific training when required to do so and overall to have a responsibility towards self-development in line with the Section / Departmental Business Plan.
- In respect of Office Procedures / Personnel, to seek guidance and assistance from Office Administrator Supervisor / Administration Manager / Practice Manager.
- The above list is not intended to be exhaustive, and a large degree of flexibility is expected.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- To be able to do basic word processing and to be computer literate.
- To have basic numeric and spelling skills.
- To demonstrate a willingness to learn and develop in the role.
- Presentable and reliable (smart/well groomed and on time).
- Confident and assertive (not arrogant).
- Mature and receptive.
- Self motivated and results driven.
- Responsible and flexible
- Professional and positive attitude.
- To demonstrate an ability to cope with changing levels of workloads.
Planning and Organisational Attributes
- Makes a positive contribution to setting their own objectives.
- To be able to demonstrate proactivity and good organisational skills.
- To able to prioritise their work.
- The ability to plan ahead for predictable periods i.e. Holidays.
- Polite, diplomatic, friendly and patient.
- To have clear diction and have basic telephone skills.
- Responds to constructive feedback from Managers or team members and takes action to address any behaviours causing a problem.
- Asks for support and guidance from the Office Administrator Supervisor / Administration Manager, when necessary.
- To demonstrate a willingness to help and assist all members of the team, when they need help.
Problem Solving and Creativity
- Checks quality of work to avoid unnecessary mistakes.
- To demonstrate attention to detail.
- Examines cause of problems and suggest solutions on how they can be solved.
- Suggests improvements to standards and working practices.
- Accepts and implements changes to new ideas and working practices.
About the employer
Oxley & Coward
…trusted since 1791
People and businesses have trusted our legal services for over 225 years.
We believe in high quality advice which is clear, practical and jargon free.
Based in Rotherham we are proud of our South Yorkshire heritage which makes us friendly and approachable.
With over 60 members of staff we are large enough to matter and small enough to care. We have Lawyers who are leaders in their field.
Though rooted in Yorkshire we help individuals and business all over the UK.
Our Lexcel and ISO accreditations show our commitment to client service, training and quality.